Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Ride By twenty one pilots Interpretation


Today I would like to interpret to you one of my favorite songs, "Ride" by twenty one pilots.

[Verse 1: Tyler Joseph]
I just wanna stay in the sun where I find
I know it's hard sometimes
Pieces of peace in the sun's peace of mind
I know it's hard sometimes

Yeah I think about the end just way too much
But it's fun to fantasize

On my enemies I wouldn't wish who I was
But it's fun to fantasize


Tyler doesn't want to suffer. Also, he thinks of death too much. He is being hurt to much that the he doesn't even want this hurt to be felt by his enemies. However, it doesn't hurt to fantasize about that.

[Chorus: Tyler Joseph]
Oh Oh Ohhh Oh Oh Ohhh I'm falling so I'm taking my time on my ride Oh Oh Ohhh
I'm falling so I'm taking my time on my ride
Taking my time on my ride


"Falling" refers to negative thoughts like doubts. And, ride refers to life.

[Verse 2: Tyler Joseph]
"I'd die for you," that's easy to say
We have a list of people that we would take
A bullet for them, a bullet for you
A bullet for everybody in this room

But I don't seem to see many bullets coming through
See many bullets coming through
Metaphorically I'm the man
But literally I don't know what I'd do

"I'd live for you," and that's hard to do
Even harder to say when you know it's not true
Even harder to write when you know that tonight

There were people back home who tried talking to you
But then you ignore them still

All these questions they’re for real
Like who would you live for? Who would you die for?

And would you ever kill?

For Tyler, it is easy to die for someone; however, actually finding someone to live for is the hard part of life. Also, he has a list of people to whom he would die for which includes his fans. Since it is improbable for him to have a chance to literally "take a bullet" for someone, he prefers to live for someone instead.

Saying "I'd live for you" is hard when you are lying. Sometimes, when we are too busy in our life, we, with eyes closed,  we ignore the people we love, just because. The questions that Tyler talks about are the philosophical questions humans have. Rather than treating them as unimportant, he regards them as otherwise. One of these questions include asking your self who you would live and die for. Both living and dying for someone is like a religious expression like Christianity. In  the last line, he's asking the audience whether they would give up or not.

[Refrain: Tyler Joseph]
I've been thinking too much
I've been thinking too much
I've been thinking too much
I've been thinking too much
Help me
I've been thinking too much
(I've been thinking too much)
I've been thinking too much
Help me
I've been thinking too much
(I've been thinking too much)
I've been thinking too much


He's obviously thinking too much that he ponders on who he would live and die for. He consequently cries for help!

This song is straightforwardly tricky in terms of interpretation. Do you have another interpretation?

Let me know what you think on the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment