Thursday, June 30, 2016

Sit Still, Look Pretty By Daya Interpretation


I love this song. It's very entertaining and informational.

[Verse 1]
Could dress up, to get love
But guess what?
I'm never gonna be that girl
Who's living in a Barbie world

Could wake up in make up and play dumb
Pretending that I need a boy
Who's gonna treat me like a toy


She's not the type of girl who objectifies life.

[Pre-Chorus 1]
I know the other girlies wanna wear expensive things and diamond rings
But I don't wanna be the puppet that you're playing on a string
This queen don't need a king


Again, she is not the type of girl who objectifies life.

[Chorus]
Oh I don't know what you've been told
But this gal right here's gonna rule the world
Yeah, that is where I'm gonna be because I wanna be
No, I don't wanna sit still, look pretty

You get off on a 9 to 5
Dream of picket fences and trophy wives
But no, I'm never gonna be cause I don't wanna be
Cause I don't wanna sit still, look pretty


This is perfect feminism. People may frown about her dreaming of ruling the world, but she doesn't care. Even the American Dream which involves working from 9 to 5, having picket fences, and trophy relationships won't hold her back.

[Verse 2]
Mr. Right could be nice, for one night
But then he wanna take control
And I would rather fly solo
That Snow White, she did right in her life
Had 7 men to do the chores
Cause that's not what a lady's for


The idea of being with "Mr. Right" entices her. She is on the look out still on the danger of someone controlling her life; because it isn't right.

She praises Snow White for being her ideal girl of being a feminist.

[Pre-Chorus 2]
The only thing a boy's gonna give a girl for free's captivity
And I might love me some vanilla, but I'm not that sugar sweet
Call me HBIC

Again, she is on the look out for anyone trying to control her and pull her down. On the last two lines, she emphasizes her feminism and being in charge.

Let me know what you think on the comments section!

No comments:

Post a Comment